Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Organization--Take Two

Around the beginning of December, my craft room became a dumping ground for everything that didn't have a home. At first it was just some Christmas presents I wanted out of sight and then suddenly I was having company and instead of shoving things in the closet I stashed my mess in there and shut the door. Well, the time has come to open it up and reclaim my creative corner.

In the past few months, there was a stretch where some of the craft sites I read had studio tours and readers could peek into the work spaces of their favorite artisans. I LOVE looking at the beautiful colors and rooms and dream of having a space of my own. The sad part is that I HAVE the space, I'm just not utilizing it.... YET.

Some inspirational images of creative spaces via Whip Up:

love the color and the long table
It's Soulemama's studio

Like the "multiple workstations"
with lots of table space and pegboard.
This is Candy's workspace.

This one is housed in a closet.
Perhaps I can do something similar within my room to make an additional workstation.
This is Michal's closet workspace.

And I love that idea for ribbons.
I've been trying to find a good way to store them.
My only concern is dust.
This is Robin's creative space.

I'm worried about cost, that I'll get carried away and spend a fortune trying to "get organized." That's part of the reason I haven't just jumped in. I am trying to figure out what I want, where and exactly what I might need to create my dream workspace. I know I'll need to hang some shelves. I know I need a big table or two. I know I need to move some of the stuff in that room OUT of there and find it a new home in my apartment.

One example is bedding. I don't have a linen closet. And if I did, it wouldn't be big enough. It would appear that I like to shop for bedding. I have FOUR giant tubs full. I have some vintage linens, flannel sheets sets, extra bedspreads and comforters, lap blankets... and I've truly weeded out the stuff I don't want to keep. And this is just my full size stuff. I have another slightly smaller tub full of sheets for a twin size bed (even though my mom took my twin bed to her house about five years ago). I might need them one day, and I really like some of those sheets. (I know, I know... but I'm just not ready to get rid of them)

The trouble I'm having now, is in order to organize my craft room area I will have to reorganize the storage space behind the kitchen and that is a beast I'm not sure I am ready to tackle. There are crafty things in there that could be moved to make way for the great bedding bins. I'm pretty sure whatever the solution is, it will be a colossal mess for a good while before it takes shape. Maybe if I had a week off from school instead of just one snow day?

I should take a before picture of the mess, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'll wait until there's something lovely to see.

1 comment:

Michal Wright-Ward said...

thanks for the mention! i'm super flattered.
happy new year!
Michal

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin