Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Dewey Decimal System

The other book-related problem was with my picture book shelves which were leaning dangerously away from the wall. I didn't want to anchor them because they were modular and can be moved into different formats and I don't want to mess that up for future configurations. Happily, the shims I purchased work under the bookshelves to make them level and having removed nearly half the former weight (photo albums, baby) they were like new. So, I started to reshelve all my picture books. I started this on Saturday night, but had to stop mid-project because I was aching and exhausted. Sunday I anticipated finishing in less than an hour, but it took me three because I wanted to "decorate" the shelves too.

No, I did not use the Dewey Decimal system to catalog my goodies, but I can't just put those up willy nilly. My system goes a bit like this.

Top of Shelf -- Winnie the Pooh memorabilia
Shelf one -- Little Golden books, Little House on the Prairie, Vintage readers, Little Golden Books
Shelf two -- all my old picture books from childhood, or replacement copies of books I once had in my childhood.
Shelf three -- Story book collections/Mother Goose books, nonfiction picture books, fairy tale related picture books
Shelf four -- Christmas books, and finally all the most recent picture books (approx. 1990-present)

Later in my day I picked up some book ends and also sorted out the books for my classics bookshelf in the entryway and to set aside a collection of books to go on the shelf that was still in my bedroom... a "to read" shelf. Sorting books is a science of its own. Though, I doubt anyone is rushing out to emulate my format and rationale.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin