Monday, May 08, 2006

Reading, Watching, Listening..... April in Review

What I Was Reading in April
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig
Loitering with Intent by Muriel Spark
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathon Safron Foer

Books completed in April
The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
The Public Image by Muriel Spark

I didn't get either of the books I was meant to read/finish/make-up for our book club this month.. It was make up month and I failed to do even that. Oh well. I do hope to finish Gilead someday but there were so many other books distracting me... Instead I read a few books that were quick, fluffy books. And in honor of Muriel Spark's passing I picked up a few titles at the local library to read some of her work. I feel terrible I have never read anything by her before. I didn't really like The Public Image, but I enjoyed The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie at least as so far as it made me think and it would have been a good book club book especially one for a group of teachers. I meant to watch the film and still intend to but April passed and I've still not watched it. It had some darker overtones that reminded me of The Dead Poet's Society film and of The Secret History by Donna Tartt (the latter is not a compliment... since I REALLY disliked that book) but it had a feeling that reminded me of it... sort of this idea of close-knit, set apart group led by a teacher who exerted a powerful influence... and then the "betrayal." But in this book it was Miss Jean Brodie that fascinated me the most. Her and her prime. I am still in the midst of Loitering with Intent and that book is rather interesting and has managed to push back the Pirsig book and the Safron Foer title. I guess I will finish those up in May....

What I Was Watching in April
On TV
Desperate Housewives
Grey's Anatomy
The OfficeNot much to say here. I continue to watch these three shows but little else. Some TCM which led to the Gidget watching...

On DVD (owned and rented)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Fun with Dick and Jane
Friends Seasons 9 & 10
Gidget
History of Violence
Casanova
Mrs. Henderson Presents

I have not seen a film in the theatre in ages. I am going through withdrawal. However this was a bad month for movies for me. The Friends stuff is something that I treat myself too-- a kind of comfort food. I didn't have much reaction to Casanova or to Fun with Dick and Jane and I expected more than History of Violence delivered. It was alright, but it didn't change my life. However, I simply loved Gidget. Loved it. I thought that I'd seen it before until I realized what I'd seen was the Sally Field TV episdoes. Sandra Dee was just darling... It made me wish I'd grown up on the beaches of Southern California with some kid named Moondoggie, surfing away the summer. Never mind that I can barely swim. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was well done as they have all been. I really enjoyed it and now I need to hurry up and read the fifth book before it's released in a movie.

The big movie hit for the month was Mrs. Henderson Presents. I really liked this film. Dame Judi Dench was spunky, wonderful and an all-around great character who was fearless in her approach to most everything. And her show was a riot. I would recommend this film for sure.


What I Was Listening to in April

Fleetwood Mac
On the Rumours Album I love every song
In particular though I adore these songs:
Second Hand News
Never Going Back Again
I Don't Want to Know
You Make Loving Fun


Motown classics
I Ain't Too Proud to Beg by the Temptations
Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Chain of Fools by Aretha Franklin
The Tracks of My Tears by The Miracles
The Happening by Diana Ross and the Supremes
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours by Stevie Wonder

Hair: The original motion picture soundtrack
On Hair my favorites include but are not limited by the following:
Air
I Got Life (though I like the Nina Simone version better)
Hair
Easy to be Hard
3-5-0-0
Good Morning Starshine
and of course the songs that bookend the disc.... Aquarius and Let the Sunshine In

Check out the lyrics here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin