Monday, October 01, 2007

More Car Confusion

Monday I test drove a used 2006 Honda Accord that was a pretty basic vehicle. It was almost a shock to sit in a used car after driving all these fancy 08s. This one drove just fine. It has 16,000 miles on it and I could get it for $15,300. It was a lease return. Somehow I just couldn't get excited about it.

Then I broke my vow--the shunning of all things Ford... and I drove the Mercury Milan. This one had extras in it, I wouldn't want and was a black vehicle... also a no-no in Carmyn-world. But it was nice. My uncle has one. I plan to ask what he thinks... the ratings are high, but the cost isn't THAT low by comparison with the Accords and I'd hoped for some kinds of specials on domestic vehicles.. maybe that is only on 2007 models and maybe I should have looked at those? The other downside to this vehicle is that it gets only marginally good gas mileage by comparisons with the other cars in its class.

Now, I'm being urged by friends to try the Saturns, Subarus, and the Kias... so I guess that might be next. Why not the Hyundais too? Anyone know a reason why I should or should not be trying these other vehicles. I'm just at a loss.

And why exactly do Kia and Hyundai have such long warranties? (I mean, THAT is what I would love) If they don't ever break down that might make sense... but if that is the case why aren't they ranked higher on all these ratings I've been looking at?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest trying a Subaru. We've owned 2 (& only sold the 1 because the family grew!). Our current one is 14 yrs old, has 235,000 miles & still gets around just fine. I love that they're all wheel drive (great in snow & ice), low maintenance, and retain their value fairly well. The gas mileage is mediocre but that is the trade-off for having all wheel drive.

Carm said...

Thanks for the tip. That's a lot of miles! Sheesh. I AM in the market for good gas mileage... I wonder if the new ones have better mileage like so many newer cars do... I plan to test drive a couple tonight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin