Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Reading Watching, Listening..... September in Review

What I Was Reading in September

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Teaching Adolsecent Writers by Kelly Gallagher
Fluke by Christopher Moore
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

I managed to finsh my book club book for September, Water for Elephants. In fact, our entire book club completed it. I guess that should tell us that it was a pretty good book. Told in first person narrative with alternating settings, our main character describes life in the nursing home, while remembering life on the circus train during the depression era. It was a fascinating topic and the authentic photos sprinkled through the book added to the effect.

I read a bit of Sophie's World trying to finish that buy was sidetracked by the current book club pick. Teaching Adolescent Writers is great and I'm nearly done with that one too. It was our professional book club pick and I enjoyed it enough to want to read his book on reading. I expect to finish Fluke sometime this week. It's quite a shift from the books I've been reading lately, but it IS entertaining.

What I Was Watching in September

On DVD
Hairspray
This is Spinal Tap
Neptune's Daughter
Grey Gardens
The Beales of Grey Gardens
Music and Lyrics
Elizabeth
For Your Eyes Only
Octopussy

It was great fun to see the John Waters version of Hairspray so I could see where the musical versions came from. I wonder if I'd have liked it as much if I'd not seen the musical first?

This is Spinal Tap is one of those oft discussed films and I hadn't seen it even though I"ve seen all the other Christopher Guest mockumentary type films. I still think Best in Show is my favorite, but this was pretty darn funny. I'm sure I didn't "get" half of it since I've not watched that many music documentaries.

Neptune's Daughter is an Esther Williams and Red Skeleton film that I recalled from my youth. It was one of the very first "classic films" I saw. I love this type of film. It's just an all around feel good confection.

I've already raved about Grey Gardens. Read about that here.

Music and Lyrics was a repeat watch for me too. I saw the film in the theatre earlier this year, but with fun films like this I don't feel bad about watching them again.

I almost forgot I saw Elizabeth this month too. In preparation of the new one... Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Yippee. That make-up was something else. Was it just me or did it look like Cate had a prosthetic nose or ears or something in the film?

I'm starting to pick up speed again with my Bond films. I enjoyed both of these though I do think Roger Moore is getting a tish old for the role. Octopussy was my favorite. I think it's funny how the circus theme is making its way into my life in both books and film!


What I Was Listening to in September

This month, I was sort of out of commission for a good chunk of it and I find that I've been listening less to music. I did pull out a few old records and listen to Andy Kim in preparation for trivia. Pam loaned me her Toronto CDs. I've enjoyed some Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, particularly the song "Love is All Around" where she sings the Mary Tyler Moore theme song--a delightful combination of two of my favorites.

a random sampling from my MP3 player here are my posted shuffles:



Cadillac Ranch by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
I Don't Make Promises (I Can't Break) by Shannon Curfman
Shake Your Groove Thing by Peaches and Herb
Star Witness by Neko Case
You're So Vain by Carly Simon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin