Friday, October 19, 2007

A Permanent Problem?

After a whirlwind week, I said good-bye to the little munchkins and went off to work, knowing their grandparents were picking them up after school dismissed. It would be nice to sleep in my own bed. I simply had a few things to move back over to my place: my pur water pitcher, my pringles, some clean but not yet dry laundry etc. I also needed to get the mail and of course, try to get the PERMANENT MARKER OFF THEIR WOODEN KITCHEN TABLE. sigh.

Things were going too well. On Wednesday morning, I discovered that the "welcome home" poster we made the night before had left permanent marker stains all over the table. And it was all my fault. I'd grabbed the wrong markers, I didn't think to put something underneath it even though it could easily soak through. I just didn't think.

At work on Wed. I agonized over this. I asked for advice. What removes permanent marker?

I was told fingernail polish remover, but it will wreck the table or remove the finish. Someone suggested a "magic eraser" but said the same thing if it takes off the marker it may remove the finish too. Shari said that Orange Glow worked for her one time but it was right after the marker got on the table... not 22 hours later. Anna's suggestion was time. Time would wear it away. But not before Thursday night when Marci and Dave came home. Sigh.

I tried the Orange Glow... again and again... It looked nice and shiny and clean... but it still had permanent marker on it. Eventually I just gave up and left a note explaining the problem and how I would be willing to do whatever Marci wanted to try to fix it.

Thursday, she went to the antique store and bought some kind of wood refinishing product and it totally worked. Every trace of the markers is gone and the finish doesn't seem dulled. She had another product in case it did. Here's the miracle permanent marker remover from wood. That and a fine grade steel wool. Marci is WAY more bold than I am. Of course it's HER table. And it's all better. Whew.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin