Tuesday, October 30, 2007

D. I. S. C. O.

When I was young one of my very favorite records was a Mini Pops LP. It featured an ABBA medley, Disco medley, Blondie medley and an oldies medley in addition to all sorts of other gems like "Brown Girl in the Ring" and "Una Paloma Blanca" ......... I mean, what on earth! One of my very favorites was the song D.I.S.C.O. and until this year I had no idea who sang the original one... It turns out it's a group called Ottawan. I've included a brief explanation of 1980s mini pops from You Tube. If you search for it on there you'll find all sorts of great samples of their songs and videos. I only played the record... the videos are new to me. And there remain songs from that record which I love and have only heard there.. "When" and "Chip Shop" for example. I guess next I might be trying to track down those originals too.



5 comments:

E.Louise said...

Yes mini-pops. I saw these when they were on TV originally. They weren't on tele long- someone quickly realised they were a paedophile's dream.

Carm said...

sad... yes. But the LP was great fun as a youngster... I have fond memories.

E.Louise said...

If it's 'There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis' it's Kirsty MacColl.

Carm said...

Yeah, that's the one. I'll have to check it out.

E.Louise said...

b.i.n.g.o

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin