Tuesday, June 19, 2007

"Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words." --Plautus

Over the weekend, I attended the wedding of my cousin Brooke and her new husband Matt. Brooke is my cousin from three miles down the gravel road. My brother and I used to ride our bikes to her house and play with her and her sister in our childhood summers. My cousin Katie, from western North Dakota, and I sat at the guest book and it was really a treat to see the parade of people from my hometown show up to honor Brooke on her special day--especially since it was a three hour drive for many of them. It's been so long since I've lived in the town I was raised that it is easy to forget so many of the people who were once a big part of my world... my support and cheerleaders. There was something about the rural neighbors and my friends' parents showing up that made me feel all good inside.

One neighbor, Dave, showed me a black and white photo he'd framed and put with a card on the gift table. It was of my grandma and my grandpa on their wedding day. He explained how he had a tiny snapshot of this image and he had it enlarged for Brooke. Then he proceeded to tell me the story of my grandma's wedding day. Of course, I remember it well from the many times she'd told me. She was married on a Wednesday morning and wore a navy blue suit. The pastor and his wife were the only ones in attendance. The pastor's wife played music for them and served as a witness and the pastor performed the ceremony. When they were officially married, Grandma's best friend... Dave's aunt and her husband, served them a wedding breakfast. Grandma would tell me with pride what was served and I wish now I'd written it down. I loved hearing that story.

What strikes me most is how many of us focus on the big show, the all out reception, fancy wedding, the dress, the cake, the attendants. Yet it's really about the commitment two people have made to join their lives together, and whether it's simple or fancy, shared by hundreds of witnesses or just one, the marriage is the real celebration.

"When I count my blessings, I count you twice."
--Irish Proverb

Brooke's wedding was lovely and I was pleased as punch to be a part of it. Guestbook attendant might be the best job of all!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin