Monday, September 07, 2009

Pretend Pasta

I've been intrigued by the idea of zucchini noodles and what I call "pretend pasta" ever since I ate at Ecopolitan last May. When it came time for my garden I planted spaghetti squash so I could explore new foods.

I baked my squash at 375 for about an hour and let it cool for about 10 minutes before slicing it in half and scooping out the seeds. Then with a fork I scraped the squash away from its skin and it just naturally forms spaghetti strands--yum!



All summer I've been meaning to make pesto because I have so much yummy basil, but I had no idea how to make it. I found a recipe online and tried that one, but something didn't work. The recipe claimed it would make 3 cups of pesto but it doesn't even include 3 cups of ingredients so I should have figured that out before I tried. I may have needed more basil or more liquid. It wasn't a sauce so much as a paste. So then I tried another recipe in an effort to repair. That one called for the same amount of basil leaves but more than double the olive oil and parmesan cheese so I added more of each of those and even a tbsp of water, but it still only made about 3/4 - 1 cup of pesto sauce. Again, maybe I just needed more basil? I am NOT the pesto expert, but I'm not giving up. I will try again when my basil plants produce a bit more.

The recipe I tried for my first dose of "pretend pasta" was Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Mozzerella. It was good but it seemed a wee bit oily to me. I only used 1/2 of my spaghetti squash too. It was just soooo much squash in just half that I didn't think it would work with more. I'll save the other half for a marinara type sauce next!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin