Pizza with Pepper, Onion, and Feta
12" thin pizza crust (I bought prepared Boboli crust--a bit pricey)
3 cups chopped bell peppers (red, green, yellow)
1 cup sliced red or yellow onions pulled into rings
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. dried Italian herbs
Salt to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
1/4 cup (4 oz) crumbled herbed feta cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Lay crust on a pizza pan.
In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients except feta cheese.
Spoon over pizza crust. Top with cheese.
Bake 10-12 minutes, or until vegetables are crispy tender. Serves 6.
Per serving: 258 calories
8 g protein
30 g carbs.
11.6 g fat (4 g saturated)
2 g fiber
488 mg sodium
bonus: This pizza is loaded with antioxidants in the peppers, onions, garlic and herbs.
A few things worth noting:
- I didn't quite need 3 cups of peppers. It seemed a bit much to try to heap the entire mixture on the crust-- I might go for a bit less.. maybe 2.5 cups peppers instead?
- I didn't bother with a green pepper since I like the other colors better so my pizza has red, yellow, and orange instead.
- I used a purple onion and wasn't quite sure how to measure out 1 cup when they were in rings--I did the best I could and thought it turned out well.
- The pizza was delicious and the only concern I have is how it will fare upon reheating. The peppers make the crust soggy if it's not eaten right away.
- I didn't use dried herbs, instead I used fresh basil, sage, and oregano. Yum! (It smells sooooo good when I'm chopping it up... I could wear it as a perfume)
- I was also thinking fresh mushrooms might have been a nice touch as well... I may experiment with that next time.
- This wasn't exactly a cost saving meal. Instead I think it cost close to $16.00 to make--between the feta cheese, the Boboli ready made crust and the veggies. I may try to figure out a homemade pizza crust option!