Friday, July 24, 2009

Glitter be Gone.


About 8 years ago my friend Emma exclaimed while looking at the top of my head (something she rarely does since she's no taller than I am), "Carmyn, you have grey hair!" Apparently a whole crop of greys had sprouted at the crown of my head. Since then they've been showing up with regularity. I used to pull them out, but then I discovered I'd soon be bald and that maybe I ought to just live with it.

About 5 years ago, my student Ali was insistent I do something about it. Mind you, I really only had random white strands here and there. My response? "Ali, those are 'glitter.' I like them!"

Ha. Well, I've decide I have a bit too much "glitter" at my temples and well, pretty much everywhere, so I finally bit the bullet and dyed my hair. My terror was in avoiding the highlighting halo that happens about 2 months after I color my hair. Long hair and hair color maintenance is tough to manage and expensive too and I was so afraid of wrecking my hair and having to cut it short to fix things.

Instead, I cut my hair (at least a few more inches... about 6 or so in the past three months) and layered the heck out of it. I went to Sara at Regis upon referral from my RRVWP pal Brandy. Sara took my concerns seriously. I actually showed her a series of photos from my hairdo past that showed what I wanted to AVOID! Then I showed her pics of other folks with hair that I liked. She actually spent a LOT of time with me on the cut. By the time we did the color, a week later, I was confident she understood my hair and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out. Whew.

1 comment:

E.Louise said...

Carmyn, you have no grey hair!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin