Saturday, January 10, 2009

It's All Coming Back to Me Now.

from hubpages.com.

"American composer Jim Steinman, once dubbed the Wagner of modern rock opera, is known for his sensual, dynamic music, darkly obsessive lyrics, and dramatic flair. He has also worked as an arranger, pianist, and stage performer. Although many may not be familiar with the man himself, the artist's collaborations with such greats as Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, and Celine Dion has guaranteed a place for him in pop-culture history.
"

I was having a Jim Steinman moment earlier today on the treadmill when I heard Meat Loaf pouring out his soul in the song "I Would Do Anything for Love, (But I Won't Do That)." It was one of those great moments when he hit my favorite lines in the song, possible some of my favorite lines in any song. (though, that can't really be true, can it?)


"And some days I pray for silence, And some days I pray for soul, Some days I just pray to the god of sex and drums and rock 'n' roll!"

Of course it's more than JUST the lyrics, which are wonderfully satisfying. It's the way all his songs build to a point of climax, to that near shouting moment. THAT is what makes a Steinman song, whether it's sung by Bonnie Tyler, Air Supply, Celine Dion, Meat Loaf or me. He's a master of drama and the turn of the phrase. I'm sure the world would call him cheezy and the lyrics nothing artistic or profound. No, he's no Dylan, but he's delicious just the same.

A few more lyrical gems:

"I can make the run or stumble,
I can make the final block;

And I can make every tackle,
at the sound of the whistle,

I can make all the stadiums rock.

I can make tonight forever,

Or I can make it disappear by the dawn;

And I can make you every promise
that has ever been made,

And I can make all your demons be gone.


But I'm never gonna make it without you,

Do you really want to see me crawl?

And I'm never gonna make it like you do,
Making love out of nothing at all."

And who could forget...

"We're living in a powder keg
and giving off sparks

I really need you tonight

Forever's gonna start tonight

Forever's gonna start tonight

Once upon a time I was falling in love

But now I'm only falling apart

There's nothing I can do

A total eclipse of the heart

Once upon a time there was light in my life

But now there's only love in the dark
Nothing I can say

A total eclipse of the heart"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin