Monday, January 12, 2009

And The Golden Globe Goes to .....

My take on the Golden Globes.

This event isn't nearly as fun or as formal as the Academy Awards but I see it as a great warm up to my dash to see all the notable films I can get my hands on. Of the Golden Globe Nominated films I managed to see eight of them by chance in the past few months or deliberate effort in the past few days. Two I saw on Saturday were Doubt (2008) and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008).

Benjamin Button was fantastical, epic (sort of reminded me of Forrest Gump, at times), moving, and LONG. I mostly enjoyed it. But, oh how I wished I was at home watching it on DVD so I could pause it and watch the second half later. It was FAR too long for one theatre viewing. 2 hours and 45 minutes or so. I really do not care for films that exceed 90 minutes this nearly doubled that.

I am curious about the short story this was based on, I may have to read it. I thought that the love story was a nice one and I particularly loved the ending for the couple. I could do without the deathbed mumbling of Cate Blanchett's character, Daisy as she revealed her whole story to her daughter by having her read a Benjamin Button's diary, "The Notebook" style.

I love this scene in Benjamin Button



I enjoyed Doubt, but didn't love it. I thought Meryl Streep was sure to win the Golden Globe, I thought she was pretty darn amazing, but then I haven't seen Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road. I thought Winslet was pretty darn amazing in Little Children so I can only imagine what her two Golden Globe winning films must be like. I look forward to seeing each of them. The cast of this film was superb, as Amy Adams is one of my favorites. She seemed a wee bit like Sound of Music's Maria and I felt for her as she found herself caught up in the midst of a power play between a popular priest and an embittered nun convinced he's up to no good.



Regarding the Golden Globes award show, I thought the best dressed women were Demi Moore, Kate Beckinsale, Eva Longoria, Christina Applegate, Anne Hathaway, and Kate Winslet (great neckline). I was not a fan of Tina Fey's overall look, nor of J-Lo's gold dress. Colin Farrell also looked particularly good. I rarely notice the men's fashion.

I thought Sally Hawkins speech was quite nice--emotional, sure, but nice. I'm now even more eager to see Happy-Go-Lucky. I understand that film isn't quite so "happy." Along the line of speeches, I felt the acceptance of Heath Ledger's award was handled very well and that Colin Farrell gave a great speech. He actually got a bit sermonesque. And Laura Dern got a wee bit political. Not a bad thing.

I was interested before, but now I am downright eager to see the film The Wrestler. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for bad boy Mickey Rourke ever since I saw him in 9 1/2 weeks back in high school. I'm rather glad he won, even though I haven't seen his performance yet. And he thanked his dogs, present and past. God. That was the best. I swear, tears welled up. His dogs.

Slumdog Millionaire seems to be the surprise win that wasn't THAT much of a surprise considering Ebert had already named it as one of his very favorites of 2008. I always enjoy Indian films and I'm curious if I will enjoy this one as much.

Considering how much I liked In Bruges and the other films it was up against, the fact that Woody Allen's Vicky Christina Barcelona won for best Musical or Comedy bodes well for that film too. I'm excited that one will be out on DVD in just a couple more weeks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin