Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dog Days of January.

This week has been all about the dog. On my other blog, I've been posting a beloved doggie book a day. And without even intending to I managed to take in a dog movie too. I am on day one of another childcare engagement. While some friends are in Mexico I'm staying with their son, Tommy, who happens to love movies as much as me so we're already planning to see something tomorrow too!

Marley and Me was a "decent" movie. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I was warned it was sad and so I was expecting the ending and that was actually good to be prepared with the tissues. I haven't read the book by Josh Grogan, but I think it adds to the film to know that it's based on a memoir. Though I don't know the real Josh and Jennifer, I felt that casting was well done and that Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston really added to the film.

I must say that I would not necessarily want a dog like Marley. He was the poster child for why one should NOT get a dog. Maybe it was exaggerated for effect, but I have to say that it made me feel a little anxious just watching a dramatization of the big bad doggie behavior.


After dinner we decided to watch Lilo and Stitch, a film I own and love, but I've discovered is not as well-known or as beloved to others as it is to me. Interestingly a little alien programmed to destroy ends up on Earth and to avoid capture, he poses as a dog and befriends a lonely girl named Lilo. She names her new "puppy" Stitch and teaches him what it means to belong as she searches for her own place in her sister's life. She is also a huge Elvis fan and uses him as a model for all things good as she tries to reform Stitch's naughty ways. The soundtrack is terrific and I simply love the sad little Stitch facial expressions and the way he comes around at the end to save the day.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for the update Carmyn! I just might have to see it. Lilo and Stitch is one of my favs too!

Nancy Devine said...

i thought about seeing Marley and Me; then i realize have Yo-yo and Whitey and me in my own home.
i have watched some lilo and stitch cartoon-thing. i'm not sure how or why.
have you seen gran torino? that movie wore me out....

Carm said...

There was a Lilo and Stitch regular cartoon on for awhile but it wasn't nearly as good as the actual film.

I am really eager to see Gran Torino, but I figured it wasn't appropriate film fun while babysitting. I guess I'll have to wait until next week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin