Sunday, April 01, 2007

What Kind of Fool Am I?

The last time April Fool's Day was a fun holiday for me may have been in first grade when all our teachers at the elementary school switched classrooms for the morning and pretended it was business as usual. The other six-year-olds and I had a good laugh over that one. Since then I find my gullible self a little hurt and feeling "dumb" when I've been burned by yet another sing-song cry of "April Fool's"!

This morning my Dad called me in response to a message I'd left on his answering machine yesterday and we chatted for the typical 8 minutes of so we typically talk before he decided with a dramatic pause to tell me that he thought he better tell me something before I heard it somewhere else.... "I'm getting married on June 30th," was the statement he led with. I was incredulous. Conversation ensued. I asked questions... legitimate ones. He asked me how I felt about this. I responded honestly. It was an honest and heartfelt conversation. Until he started laughing uncontrollably, asking me "Don't you know what day it is?" I could feel a blush wash over me and I realized I'd been duped. Snookered. Shamefully fooled. Damn you. April Fool's Day. You did it again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin