Sunday, April 29, 2007

a Poem to ponder

Ode to a Yearbook

Just like childbirth
(never having had a child
I am reporting secondhand)
I forget.
The pain. The labor.

Right after it's done
and the finished book, glossy cover
is in my hands.
I forget the fundraising
I forget the nagging I must do
to "encourage" kids to buy the damn thing.
I forget the curse of April--
For accountants it's taxes.
For me it's pages... yearbook pages
urging seniors to turn in their photos

I hate that I'm not more organized.
I hate that I'm working on a Sunday.
I hate that I'm not paid more for doing it.

But I forget. And next year, come April...
Shall we bet I'll be doing this again?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A former yearbook advisor, I feel your pain. It's a thankless job. A thankless BIG job. Hang in there!

Carm said...

Thanks.... I am getting there... only a few more days until our deadline. Let's hope it doesn't kill me (pardon the pun)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin