Thursday, February 05, 2009

Creamy Tomato Soup

Our book club is as much about the tasty food as the books some months. This month I hosted and I was determined to find a new soup recipe to try. I loved how it turned out and I served it with buttery, crusty, sourdough grilled cheese sandwiches using farmer's cheese. Mmmm... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Here's the soup recipe: from Taste of Home

8 SERVINGS
20 min of prep
10 min cooking

INGREDIENTS
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
* 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
* 1-1/2 cups milk
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, paprika and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).

Apparently you can make this "low fat" (look at the website for suggestions and nutritional info) and I wish I'd known this before, so I could have tried it that way first. I made the fully fatted version and it was delish. It will be hard to do it any other way!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin