Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Singing the Blues.

So it turns out I cannot, I mean CANNOT do karaoke. I love to sing. I sing all the time. In the shower. In the car. At the top of my lungs to the dismay of others--Angela, Sarah... you know who you are! As part of the New Year's festivities at my friends' house, there was all kinds of crazy karaoke going on. I was ready to get over my fears and to embrace this fully with friends in a safe and happy environment.

Yet, it turns out there are still microphones involved and it doesn't matter how well you know the song, there is one crucial element lacking when the words start to scroll across the screen--the melody. I just couldn't find an entry point into the song. I couldn't find that first word, first beat, first note. It was terrifying. I would almost get one word out, realize it sounded froggy and wrong and then I literally fled the microphone. As Grover would say, all deep and monstery, "I'm so embarrassed." I remain karaoke-phobic.

I felt pressure to sing ABBA. "You LIKE ABBA" was the mantra... I'm sorry, but I've given this a lot of thought. If I'm going to sing anything it has to be something I know all the words to... not just the chorus. Something in my vocal range. Something I could sing beginning to end acapella if pressed. ABBA works if you are singing along with Benny and Bjorn. I needed something like "Nine to Five" by Dolly Parton (though even that one might be hard for me), "Tennessee Flat Top Box" by Roseanne Cash, "We've Only Just Begun" by The Carpenters, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler, "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply or "Too Many Secrets" by Patsy Cline. Hmmmm... not many karaoke machines have that one stocked. :) And it turns out it wouldn't matter anyway. When faced with "Tennessee Flat Top Box" and later with "Rainy Days and Mondays" I was a dismal failure.

Still everyone else had fun. Note the joy songs in the style of Tom Petty bring to this kiddo!

Here is 1/2 of the Meier Family Band.

Jonathon rocking out!
This could be a new way to learn to read. Karaoke.
I wonder if anyone else has thought of that?

Happy New Year, friends!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin