Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Will 2008 be the Year?

The year when things start to turn around for this country? As the 2008 primaries approach, (at light speed, it seems) I find myself struggling with the heavy choice of which candidate I want to support for the presidency. I know MY backing will surely make ALL the difference in the world, so it's imperative that I am fully confident or knowledgeable in that choice!

I've tried to examine the issues and I've taken a ton of "online quizzes." All signs point to one candidate so far. Dennis Kucinich. Usually close behind is John Edwards and Obama and Clinton are tied somewhere a bit further down the list... Dead last evey time is Fred Thompson. I guess that makes sense since when I was listening to one of his little video clips on MSN I was struck speechless and could only jot down on my notepad, WTF. I am not even sure which issue he was discussing, nor what it was that he said that was so offensive. But I am pretty sure he wins the award for my least favorite candidate. That much is clear.

The thing that makes this whole process difficult for me is that in every speech, debate, summary statement of a candidate's position I find a plethora of jargon I don't understand. Things like fair tax, consumption tax, kyoto accords, nuclear power, NAFTA, World Trade Organization, trade with China, current immigration policies, the range of health care solutions is a bit mind boggling too. (Don't worry, I've been working on this) Apparently I need to revisit my Economics 101 notes and then some. I need a political tutor and I am pretty sure I have one friend who is beginning to tire of my endless questions... I fear that people like me (uninformed) who lack the tenacity to figure this stuff out may end up choosing or supporting a candidate for the wrong reasons. Sigh.

If you are interested in doing some exploring. Here are three links that might help you out.

Try this USA Today Candidate Match Game.

or

Try the MSNBC Interactive matrix that examines the candidates views on 5 key issues without messing about with unimportant issues like abortion, same sex marriage, gun control etc. This one focuses on Economy, Energy, Immigration, Health Care, and the War with Iraq.

or

Try the CNN Election Center for an "at a glance" look at some of the issues and the candidates stands.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've taken 2 different on-line quiz things and both time John Edwards is my number 1 - I'm with you on not getting all the lingo though Tara

Carm said...

I'm getting better at it, Tara. With tutoring, it's getting better. :)

marvin said...

Let's face it, the political mechanism in the USA, by which Presidents are chosen and allowed to "rule," is totally and permanently broken! The only way to ever fix it, will be to have TWO nationwide elections for each Presidential four-year term: one election at the beginning of the term to choose the President, and another one at the end of the term to decide whether to "pardon" or "execute" the person whose term is ending.

Carm said...

Nice! You've thought this one through. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin