Monday, November 12, 2007

Grrrrrrr.... Grammar.

Is it wrong that I am totally turned off by the current Bachelor, Brad, because of a repeated grammatical error? It just grates on me. Arghhhh... It's unfortunate because I think he's trying hard to be correct and formal and is overcorrecting and ends up committing grammar sins because of it.

This one has to do with the use of Me versus I. And I'm amazed at how OFTEN he has cause to use this particular grammatical construction. I wonder if any of the girls notice and are too polite to say anything... I just don't know if I could hold back. (I'd be the first girl sent home for failure to tolerate bad grammar.) It's not like I WANT to shame him or make him feel bad, it's just that he needs to know he's wrong and STOP speaking that way. It just makes a perfectly nice guy look pretty foolish. Do you suppose there is any chance he'll read this blog entry and figure it out? Ouch.

The odds are against Hillary and I.

That should read...

The odds are against Hillary and me.

How do you know? Just remove "Hillary and" from the sentence.

You wouldn't say.. the odds are against I.
(How awkward!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. This is a very important lesson.

I don't watch the Bachelor, but I now know that if I did, I would have to stop. I wouldn't be able to handle the repeated grammar errors either.

Amanda

E.Louise said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-XQ6MVAsM

Anonymous said...

Community High School flashback Ms. J
Tara

marvin said...

Let's have a show of hands. How many of you girls would kick Bachelor Brad out of bed for saying, "None of your infinite charms ever appear less than perfect to me"? Or, how about this one: "Say, darling, how about letting me 'do you' once again before you and me drift off to sleep"?

Frankly, though, I cannot fathom why any self-respecting woman would invest any time in watching a TV series which, in over five years, has featured eleven "bachelors," winnowing down a cumulative field of approximately 275 females, without resulting in any actual marriages! [Did Byron, bachelor #6, and his choice, Mary, tie the knot yet? They MIGHT be the sole exception to the rather pathetic success record this show has had.]

Carm said...

It's like a train wreck. It's hard to look away.

I think Trista and Ryan are married happily and have a child. But I know what you are saying.

marvin said...

Trista Rehn and Ryan Sutter got married as a result of a "spin-off" TV series, "The Bachelorette," which was an inverted, mirror-image version of "The Bachelor." And even in that seres, where the women got to pick the men (instead of the other way around) there was only just that one, lone marriage. These shows certainly have not provided a very positive view of, nor an especially good "recommendation" for the institution of marriage. In fact, they make it seem a rather hopeless and futile endeavor more than a "dream come true."

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin