Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Why Sewing Doesn't Suit Me.

I think I may need to forfeit the fancy sewing machine to someone more deserving. I just remembered why I don't sew. I'm impatient. And lazy. This weekend I tried to make a bag following a pattern of a freebie I got a few weeks ago. I didn't actually have a pattern so I simply laid the bag flat and cut the fabric around it. And the way I cut is usually far from precise so then there is the risk of sewing crooked because my cuts are crooked. (I wasn't very good in my high school wood shop class either) Then I decided the fabric wasn't sturdy enough so I thought, how hard can it be to make a lining. I'm not really sure how to make anything so I tried using common sense. I think I better stick to projects with EXPLICIT instructions.

My first big mistake was in not changing threads. The fabric was red and white and I had black thread in there. The thought of finding red thread and trying to remember how to wind a bobbin seemed overwhelming which should have been the first sign that I ought to wait to tackle this project. But no, I forged on. Next I tried to make these little loops that would be sewn into the seams at the bottom of the bag. And then I realized I needed them to have finished edges and on the third try I got one to work. Unfortunately the two loops (one for each side of the bag) ended up being different widths... but I figured it wasn't that big of a deal. Next I sewed the sides through both fabrics. (I also didn't bother to pin anything... seriously how lazy can I be?) I realized afterward that this wasn't the best way to have a lining and that my seams showed inside, so this looked sort of ugly on its interior. Especially with the black thread. Sigh.

Finally the top of the bag was meant to be drawstring. Again, dumb, dumb, dumb, black thread and me for not changing it. I haven't woven the drawstrings through to see how it actually works, but I am thinking I can't let this bag be seen in public. It's too awful, too embarrassing. And other than ripping out all the stitches, I'm not sure I can see a way to salvage it.

I may try again. Or try to follow an actual pattern next time. Use pins and proper thread, maybe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so me! I am the most sloppy sewer ever. I don't use pins. I don't iron fabric (I don't iron clothes . . . why would I iron a piece of material?) I can't ever remember how to wind the bobbin either, and my sewing projects most often end up coming unraveled, sometimes before they are even finished. Now, paper, PAPER I love to sew into cute little books and other creations. I bet you'd like paper under the foot of your sewing machine too. Give it a try.

Carm said...

Yay. I'm not alone! And yes, you caught me, I didn't IRON it either.

Paper might be more my speed. One single straight seam might work.

E.Louise said...

Get a rotary cutter and long ruler. they changed my life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin