Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Song Collection to Warm Your Heart... to Feather Your Nest


I am in love with my new CD. My latest acquisition is designed for children but that didn't stop me. When I read a review not long ago on Daily Candy, I was first attracted by the title of the album, You Are My Little Bird and later by the cover art. What made me buy it was the sound. My latest Barnes and Noble stop included a couple hours of music sampling (sadly, we don't have a music section at the store in my town). At first I thought it could be a good baby gift for a new mother... a cd they could play with their kids that wouldn't make them want to cut their ears off... think "Barney" or any other ridiculous kid friendly sing-song crap. Then I discovered I really enjoyed the cd to much to give it up. Some words to describe the overall feel of the songs: gentle, happy, lovely.

I don't know much about Elizabeth Mitchell, but I do know on this album she sings with her young daughter and her husband and many of the songs are covers of songs by music legends--among them, Neil Young, Bob Marley, Woody Guthrie, and even the Velvet Underground. Many other special guests join them in the performances and nearly all the songs have a little bird reference. I like that. My current favorite song on the disc is the Bob Marley one, "Three Little Birds."

Accompanying the CD is a 28 page booklet which provides liner notes by the performer and additional info on the "type" of music showcased on the disc--folk. What happened as I explored this CD is my own house of memories came alive and I began to recall the songs I sang as a child. I suddenly longed for the songbook we used in elementary school. Then I remembered my friends' daughter and I dancing in their living room years ago and Hope telling me, as we listened to music that her favorite Beatles song is "I Want to Hold Your Hand." I love that a young child actually HAS a favorite Beatles song and that it clearly meant something special to her. Just as I believe children should be flooded with books and reading opportunities from birth, I believe they also thrive when drenched with rich and wonderful music.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin