Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What Would The Dixie Chicks Do?

Recently I watched a pair of documentaries that got me thinking. One was Shut Up and Sing! In 2003, Natalie Maines, The Dixie Chicks lead singer, made a disparaging remark about President Bush at a concert in England and this documentary depicts the aftermath. It was eye opening to see the lengths a particular sector of America went to show their disapproval. Let's just say, the minute the film was done I went out and bought their most recent CD.

I recall seeing some of the news media coverage showing tractors driving over their CDs and people protesting them and hearing about radio stations refusing to play their music. Still I had no idea how serious it was for the band and to what extent that one fairly innocent comment impacted their careers. What's funny is without knowing there was any animosity between country singer Toby Keith and The Dixie Chicks, I recall being offended and disgusted by a song HE was singing on the radio a few years ago. It turns out that a bit of a war was waged between Natalie and Toby regarding their stance on Bush and the war and TK's ridiculous song.

What I keep thinking is would the moral outrage over that little remark have been so profound if it was said today. It's hard to face my international friends without MY head hung low saying the same thing, "I'm ashamed Bush is my president"... of course --I-- didn't vote for him, but hey. It's not a good time to be an American, I'm afraid.

At the art event I attended a few weeks ago I chatted with two of our local young professionals who were unaware of the fact that I hate talking about politics. It makes my head hurt. However both were fairly active and each in different camps politically... though one of the fellows was from our neighboring state. In the midst of the conversation an idea hit me: What if at the midterm we just had a do-over. A re-vote. How many people who voted for him would actually do it again? I just can't believe that there are that many people out there who would hold firm to their support of this guy. In fact, I would expect there are some folks who feel like a horse's ass for casting their vote in that direction and wouldn't it be refreshing to "take it back." Ahhh... well, we've not really worked this idea into our governmental system so I guess we're stuck for a bit longer. Unless Bush manages to make things worse and then I think we just go for all out impeachment. What does the man have to do--participate in oral sex???--before we decide he should hand over control of our nation. I guess one should keep his eye on Ted Haggard... maybe there was something to that relationship he shared with Bush.



That brings me to the other documentary. Jesus Camp. I watched this with my friend Tara and we both thought if one had never experienced church youth group, a youth missions trip, or YWAM the ideas put forth in the film would be very shocking. However both of us have experienced the world of missionaries and evangelism, just not from a pentecostal perspective. I found Ted Haggard to be very grating and when I listened to the commentary track the directors admitted that he was the only person who was truly abrasive, defensive and oppositional to their project. It was very evident in the footage that he was uncomfortable with them and perhaps he was afraid they'd go digging around in his background.

What I really liked about the documentary is the way the directors approached the subject matter and seemed to be really open and accepting to what they found. I think a perspective emerges, at least after hearing the commentary track, but never, ever, do they say an unkind word about Becky or any of the children. They exhibit nothing but respect for her ministry and her gifts, whether they agree with her or not. They were wowed by the kids and eager to see them in ten years. I guess I am eager for the same. I would like to know what happens to Levi, Rachel, and Tory. They were pretty strong kids...but kids nonetheless.... and I think they aren't even necessarily representative of your typical evangelical child.

What troubled me in the film is the political stance so interwoven in their religious views and the frightening look at homeschooling for religious purposes. I questioned how far parents and church leaders should go in "teaching" their kids. It seemed so one-sided, I am afraid there will one day be kids who are in for a rude awakening. Wouldn't it be better to teach them BOTH views... to give them the freedom to choose their direction and the promise of unconditional love and support either way. For the record, I have no argument with homeschooling, in general and would consider it an option depending on the educational opportunities available to my child (like if I lived in Texas, for example... I'd probably home school my child). One of the parents claims in the extras that "we don't force them" but in a sense they do. I've spent enough time with devout Christian kids to know that like most kids they do love their parents and want to please them and so wouldn't it make sense they embrace their teachings and strive in those teachings, never daring to question because to question would be to suggest that mom and dad were wrong or flawed.

Possibly the most chilling bits were the anti-abortion segments. I fear the foolishness that comes of voting in world leaders based on single issues. If the only reason one votes for a president is because of his environmental policies or because of his stance on gun control or abortion.... well it's not enough. All of those things rolled into one package make a candidate but I can see in ten years some 8 year old growing up and voting based solely on their stance on abortion. Of course I am sure they are hoping Roe Vs. Wade will be overturned before then.... which would be one of the greatest tragedies in America. I am completely and utterly against abortion personally... I agree with the kids in the film... I believe we should pray for an end to abortion in America but I don't believe that women can have that right stripped of them. It's a slippery slope after that and I'm not eager hand over my freedoms and step into some burqa wearing role in America at the suggestion of a radical religious group. (Do you realize it was not always that way in Afghanistan?) The part that is disturbing for me is how these children have no understanding of why someone might choose an abortion. And why would they... they are little kids... but without that perspective they might view some woman as a "murderer" or a "monster" with little compassion or understanding for the desperation she might be feeling. War kills too, people... so does capitol punishment... no one seemed too concerned about that.

3 comments:

E.Louise said...

Amen.
Along similar lines, see this clip of a British TV car show ('Top Gear').
http://vids.craveonline.com/videos/00003738/top_gear_attacked_by_rednecks.html
(if that doesn't work try http://vids.craveonline.com/videos/00003738/top_gear__attacked_by_rednecks.html
Actually it's pretty funny as well as scary. (Ironic too that the little cute guy Richard survived a 300+ mile an hour car crash just last year, only to get nearly lynched for his 'gay' car!)

E.Louise said...

ok the link didn't seem to come out right there. Go to
http://vids.craveonline.com/videos/
scroll down to the categories and click on 'funny' and it's about the 4th one down.

Carm said...

Thanks. I will check it out. I was actually a little nervous to see who these comments were from. I don't want to offend people but I also don't want to "edit" myself too much on my own blog...

I think it's important for Christians to realize that not everyone who attends their church or religious organization is necessarily sharing their political ideology.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin