Friday, February 02, 2007

"...And they were sure surprised when Mrs. Johnson wore her mini-skirt into the room."

In response to Emma's evocative post on story songs I wrote a lengthy comment that somehow didn't make it on the blog??? I didn't have the heart to rewrite and so I decided I would just do a post of my own with a handful of other story songs to continue the conversation.

1. Sylvia's Mother by Dr. Hook

Actually, did you know this song was written by Shel Silverstein (the famous chidren's poet) who also wrote "A Boy Named Sue"! I LOVED "Sylvia's Mother" when I was young... still do actually.

Ple-ease Mrs. Avery, I just gotta talk to her
I'll only keep her a while
Please Mrs. Avery, I just wanna tell 'er goodbye
Sylvia's mother says "Sylvia's packin'"
"She's gonna be leavin' today"
Sylvia's mother says "Sylvia's marryin' "
"A fella down Galveston way"
Sylvia's mother says "Please don't say nothin'"
"To make her start cryin' and stay"

2. Springtime in Alaska by Johnny Horton

Or really almost ANY song by Johnny Horton: "Jim Bridger," "Battle of New Orleans," "Commanche," "Sink the Bismarck," etc. I love Johnny Horton BECAUSE of the story song element. (And the old country twang, I'll admit it.) But I also love it because when I listen to it memories of childhood waft up.

As I walked in the door, the music was clear.
The purtiest voice I had heard in two years.
The song she was singin' made a man's blood run cold.
When it's springtime in alaska, it's forty below.
(when it's springtime in alaska it's forty below.)
It was redhead lil who was singin' so sweet.
I reached down and took the snow packs off my feet.
I reached for the gal who was singin' the tune.
We did the eskeemo hop all around the sea-loon.

3. Rocky by Dickie Lee

This song is one my friend Cindy had on LP back in junior high and THAT is how I first heart it. VERY sentimental, but in that good 70's way rather than the Hallmark way of today. In fact, quite recently this song was mentioned at our wine club gathering and I was amazed to discover how many of the crew recalled this little number.

Alone until my eighteenth year, we met four springs ago
She was shy and had a fear, of things she did not know
But we got it on together in such a super way
We held each other close at night, and traded dreams each day
She said Rocky I've never been in love before, don't know if I can do it
But if you let me lean on you take my hand I might get through it, through it
I said baby, oh sweet baby it's love that sets us free
And God knows if the world should end your love is safe with me

4. Harper Valley PTA by Jeannie C. Riley

I know there was also a TV show, but all I know is the song and I LOVE the song. It's a kick-ass song and every time I hear it, I can't help but grin.

I wanna tell you all a story
'bout a Harper Valley widowed wife,

Who had a teenage daughter
who attended Harper Valley Junior High,

Well her daughter came home one afternoon
and didn't even stop to play,

And she said."Mom I got a note here
from the Harper Valley PTA."

Well the note said, "Mrs. Johnson,
you're wearing your dresses way too high.

It's reported you've been drinkin'
and runnin' round with men and goin' wild.

And we don't believe you oughta be
a bringin' up your little girl this way."

And it was signed by the secretary,
"Harper Valley PTA."

Well it happened that the PTA
was gonna meet that very afternoon.

And they were sure surprised
when Mrs. Johnson wore her mini-skirt into the room.

And as she walked up to the black board,
I still recall the words she had to say.

She said I'd like to address
this meeting of the Harper Valley PTA.


5. Where Have You Been by Kathy Mattea

Another country song... I guess THEY are known for their story songs, eh?

Claire had all but given up
When she and Edwin fell in love
She touched his face and shook her head
In disbelief she sighed and said
In many dreams I've held you near
Now at last you're really here

Where have you been?
I've looked for you for ever and a day
Where have you been?
I'm just not myself when you're away

6. El Paso by Marty Robbins

This song is another typical country story song from my childhood. And I think if I stayed in this genre I could name an endless supply of these.

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl.

Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina,
Wicked and evil while casting a spell.
My love was deep for this Mexican maiden;
I was in love but in vain, I could tell.

1 comment:

E.Louise said...

Sorry this didn't appear as a comment. Sad to say I don't know these songs, but I think you're right about country music doing better for story songs. There are lots when you stop to think about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin