Sunday, December 20, 2009

Let the Parade of Movies Begin.

I just cranked my Netflix subscription back up to 3 movies at a time after having the same one film since last March. I've been horrible about seeing movies this year (simply NO time) and have actually seen more in the theatre than on DVD, I think. There are a handful of must-sees this holiday season in the theatre but for now I'm going to catch up on a few I missed earlier this year. Here are two of those:



I enjoyed this film. It certainly made me hungry. Not in the Chocolat kind of way but maybe in "give me some butter" kind of way. Yum. This was just what I needed on a Saturday night in the midst of holiday frenzy. I felt annoyed by Julie Powell's attitudes at times, but felt that Meryl Streep as Julia Childs was simply wonderful. I'm not rushing out to buy the book the film was based on, nor am I eager to read the blog entries from 2002. My interest in Julia Childs is piqued, however. And as much as I like good food, I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of cooking. I didn't realize the film was a Nora Ephron (a master of my kind of "comfort" films) and so it's no surprise I enjoyed it.



Sam Mendes film, Away We Go, was a melancholy film that resonated with the bits of me that can feel a bit lost at times. A favorite voice, Dave Eggers, had a hand in the screenwriting and I felt his presence in the film. In this film Burt and Verona are in their early 30s and expecting their first child. When Burt's parents decide to move to Belgium for two years, the young couple suddenly feels unmoored and they decide to find a place to call home. Somewhere they can raise their child. The film follows them on a trek to Phoenix, Madison, Montreal, and Miami as they search for friends, family, home and end up finding themselves. It's a wild exploration of all kinds of parenting styles, all kinds of idealism and problems. I have to admit one of my favorite bits was the part with LN (maggie gyllenhaal) and her attachment parenting, the continuum movement and the three s's. I didn't love the film, but I didn't dislike it either. It made me feel a little blue because it reminded me of difficult life can be in even the best situations, still I am glad I saw it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin