Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Plasma -- Blood not TV.

This is my first week of donating plasma. I used to do this regularly but it's been about two years since I've been there. Apparently I left an impression, because on Monday I was greeted by several familiar faces with a "nice to see you back" as if I'd been gone for only a few weeks. I can't decide if that is a good thing. As a teacher, I know that "memorable" doesn't always mean fond memories.

The plasma removal process hasn't changed at all... except my weight has so I'm now in a weight bracket which requires them to take more from me. Guess who now has MORE motivation to lose some unwanted pounds! Sheesh.

The intake process when you arrive at the center has changed considerably and now is much more streamlined. They've also increased their dollar amount and so each week I can walk away with $60.00 if I donate twice. Not only do I get to help science and sick people, but I get paid to do it.

I remembered two things about the process that made it easier for me:
1. It's FREEZING cold in there and the saline they put in you is room temp rather than body temp so that makes it worse. Thankfully, I brought my blanket.

2. It's a great time to catch up on reading. I am soooooo looking forward to all the great books I'm going to get to read while I'm hanging out at BioLife plasma services. (It's pretty sick when the best time I have for reading is while hooked up medical equipment designed to suck the blood out of me)

1 comment:

Lori said...

Jason has been going to plasma, too (I've tried...but I'm WAY to much of a WIMP!) - maybe you'll see him there sometime! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin