Friday, December 07, 2007

I Am More Than the Sum of My Parts

I read about this on another blog and I can't quit thinking about it. Maybe because I have a similar body type. I agree she's got a pretty "normal" (as in non-supermodel) look to her bod and I hate that anyone would suggest she's a "porker." I love food and I try to be healthy but that doesn't mean I can't indulge in the rich, calorie laden comfort foods once in awhile, so why must Nigella sacrifice? I admire her for taking a stand. I copied my favorite bits from the article below for your edification.

Some people love food writer and TV host Nigella Lawson. She's bright, successful, forty-something, and loves food, unapologetically. But some people -- who have been commenting on the BBC website -- think the British star is a "porker" who sends the wrong message, reports The Times of London. "What sort of an example is she setting with her weight and her appetite for high-calorie sweets and cream?" one reader asks. Nigella tells Times writer Shane Watson: "Maybe I have put on weight, or maybe it's a bad camera angle. But in real life, this is normal size. Everyone is so critical. All must be sacrificed to the great god of skinny. You must say no to everything." Ms. Watson claims that the "god of skinny" has dethroned the "god of beauty." She writes, "Beauty without a slim body is now almost pointless."

Nigella has her own theories about why we live in a society that would target both herself and other women "I think it is a fear of flesh," says Nigella, "maybe of vulnerability and softness. I do think that women who spend all their lives on a diet probably have a miserable sex life: if your body is the enemy, how can you relax and take pleasure? Everything is about control, rather than relaxing, about holding everything in."

Plus, since Nigella's mother, sister and husband died of cancer, thinness is not something she aspires to. "I associate thinness with dying," she says. "When [my mother] had cancer, she said, 'This is the first time I have eaten without worrying,' and that is chilling."

excerpted from this article.

2 comments:

marvin said...

Maybe that post should be titled, "I Weigh More Than the Sum of My Parts," eh?

In Nigella Lawson's case, if she is now "forty-something," doesn't that put her sort of "over the hill"? "Past it"? "Beyond her prime child-bearing years," and, therefore, no longer in any need of maintaining a slim figure? Heck, let her eat all the pastries and rich desserts she likes! At her age, she can now afford to totally let herself go.... :-)

Carm said...

Behave! Heart disease, darling. It's a worry. No children? Then that puts her at a greater risk for some cancers. Poor thing. Maybe she DOES need some yummy comfort food. Ahhh... what a catch 22.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin