Thursday, July 05, 2007

Vespa-licious.


In Winnipeg, during their Canada Day celebration at The Forks, vendors lined the paths selling necklaces, henna tattoos, fair trade goods, sunglasses and Vespas. The local Vespa dealer had some on display and I fell in love with a shiny red number that seemed to be the answer to my quandary-- my disdain for bicycling and my refusal to buy gas when it was so expensive and when my pedaling power was free and good for the environment. I hate motorcycles so I'm not sure why I think a Vespa is a good idea--I suspect it had something to do with the shiny red and cool mirrors. I can be sucked in by flash and fashion. They just seem so cool and convenient. I suppose they aren't great for winter driving and they can't really travel out of town, and they still use gas (though you can get hybrids), but for all that in town transportation, what more could I ask for? Yet, the buses are working out and I need the exercise more than I need to look "cool." Sigh. Farewell, Sweet Vespa... you were a dream for a day.

2 comments:

E.Louise said...

like the side-saddle bike-riding. She must be working her muscles just to be sitting there.

shelly said...

carm. you have to call me some time soon. i have to tell you all about jackson hole and i have to tell you that i am probably going to move back to GF in january. so make some room in your reading and writing groups. and the wine club, duh. let's do coffee soon. and also, i love the vespa too. but not nearly as much as i like the harley that i will own one day when i have a real big girl job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin