Friday, July 20, 2007

Les Miserables


Last night, when the rest of the world was lining up for the final copy in the Harry Potter series, I was attending a student version of Les Miserables. Having never seen it before and therefore having nothing to compare it to, I will say it was quite well done. It was also a wee bit long. I am not sure I can fathom reading the 1400 page Victor Hugo book. I have seen the film made a few years ago and so I guess I knew the story. I think I sort of mix it up with Count of Monte Cristo or one I've actually read. I was a bit disappointed in that it didn't elicit much emotion from me. I know when I saw Man of La Mancha for the first time I actually cried a bit. This one seemed almost "too dramatic" and sappy. Still, the music was good. And my favorite songs were the ones with the full cast/chorus type numbers. One I loved was "Master of the House." The lyrics are a riot and the scene, great fun. In fact, as I write this brief review I am listening to a few of the songs:
ABC Cafe--Red and Black
Master of the House
Do You Hear the People Sing?
At the End of the Day
One Day More

You can find them on the Les Miserables website.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin