Tuesday, December 26, 2006

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

On Christmas Eve I attended a candlelight service at the church of my childhood. As I drove home at midnight, I was struck with the wonder and beauty of a perfectly clear star-filled sky. If I could have captured it on film it would have looked like this only BIGGER and with visible constellations brighter than I remember seeing them before.

My trip home for the holidays was an emotional one as it will be the last with my Grandma. I spent the day with her in her hospital and I knitted and visited while she lay there drifting in and out of sleep and she offered me nothing but a blank look punctuated only by the glimmer of recognition she had for my brother when he stopped to visit. She's so thin it's like looking at a different woman... now without the smiles or any physical response it's like she's already gone.

I have volumes of words to say and they were choked in my throat holding back that flood of tears that I am scared to really cry. I fear starting and never stopping. Instead I chatted about school, plans, craft projects.... I told her funny stories and I sat in silence... knitting... being there. I believe that even if she can't respond she knows we are there... at least while we are there. That she hears and may not even understand who I am or why I am there or what I am talking about... but she knows love and it's important that she is filled and surrounded with that too.

At the evening service I sat alone, missing my companion. My Gram. I sang the familiar songs and listened to the scriptures and I lit my candle from the one held by Lyla B. and got a hug with sympathetic eyes that knew as she gripped me who I was missing and what I was feeling.

After I visited Gram, I had to go to her house... empty and waiting... like she's coming back any minute even though she's been gone for more than six weeks. I had to be there to drink in her smell... to feel her... the real her. I miss her already. It was an odd holiday and it had a slightly empty worried feel, but I believe that God tried to give me a little gift. Something simple... something beautiful in that night sky.


*********
Update: My grandma passed away on December 30, 2006 in the wee hours of the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carmyn, I am so sorry for your loss. I know from our chat over the break that she was so special to you. Your spirits are connected and will be, always.

Carm said...

Thank you, Sara.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin