Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Folk This!

As of tomorrow I will miss the Folk Festival in Winnipeg. For some reason, I feel this loss more than I would have expected. There are reasons I am not going. One of those involves money. The bigger reason is I am pretty sure I'd have to go alone, (or bring my sister and foot the bill for her too) as I know no one here who also shares this burning desire. Thirdly, my trivia team signed up to host trivia this Saturday... That means we've spent time creating questions, selecting music, and getting everything prepared and I would feel bad if I was ditching them for anything less than an overseas trip!

I contemplated going for the whole four days and even camping out. I loved the idea. Why have these summer days off if I can't do extraordinary thing like that? Then when I realized both the cost and the fact that it fell on D-day trivia-style I thought about going just for the day on Friday. The musical line-up would do nicely and yet, I was pretty sure that once I was there and already staying over night it would kill me not to go back to Bird's Hill Park the next day and take in the Saturday afternoon shows and well I stalled out, doing nothing.......

Here's the performers line-up.

I did think it would be really neat to hear Solomon Burke and I was especially looking forward to Neko Case. To compensate for that loss I plan to buy her latest CD today. It's cheaper than a concert ticket and if I close my eyes I can imagine I am there reclining in my lawn chair, listening live.

Even better... I discovered through her site an NPR Live Concert series I missed with Ms. Case AND Martha Wainwright on April 10, 2006. On the NPR site there is a way to listen to both segments or to download it for later. I did both. It's like I was there.... only I am still in bed and naked, so even better.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I would have gone with you if I was still in GF. It sounds great.

Carm said...

I know you would've.... thanks. :)

marvin said...

Of the 87 musical acts that were booked for that folk festival, I've only ever "heard of" eight of them, and of those eight, there are only four where I own a CD (or two) by them. Sadly, Neko Case is not among that group, either. This is not a commentary on the quality or the location of the folk festival, nor on Ms. Case (I wonder if she is related to Tiffany?) herself, but rather it is a pretty sad commentary on the current state of "being up to speed" on modern folk music which I, personally, possess!

I think what amazes me more than my lack of familiarity with 79 of the 87 musical acts at that festival, is the fact that I think this is the first time I ever heard there even WAS such a festival. I'm kind of stunned that I can recall no mention of this huge event. I must have either failed to read the memo, or been asleep when the anouncement came over the loudspeaker!

On the other hand, being in bed and naked is always a good alternative to being eaten alive by mosquitoes at some open-air music festival.

Carm said...

I haven't heard of a lot of them either. I don't own cds by ANY of them... at least not until this Neko Case purchase. I see festivals as a place to LEARN about new music. It's there that I first heard Nickel Creek and there that I first heard Martin Sexton. In the past I have gone because of one artist I am drawn to and I tend to discover others as well.

It's not so huge... and it's stuck in the middle of Canada. (not exactly a hotspot for music festivals, but it is a nice time)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin