Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Smoosh


Recently I stumbled upon a music interview by Steve Almond in The Believer's online magazine. Familiar with the author because of his book Candyfreak, I started reading. He interviews a Seattle based band comprised of two sisters: Asya, age 13 and Chloe, age 11. They are considering adding their sister, Maya as a bass player. She's 8. I was waiting to write this post because I was hoping to hear enough of their music to know whether or not I agreed with the rave reviews I've read wherever Smoosh has been reviewed. As I write this I haven't decided if it's love at first listen. Though one of their singles is playing as I type and I find it is rather infectious, in a good way.

If you'd like to know more, read the interview or check out this site. There you can find links to an interview with KEXP Radio from January of 2004 (but I am guessing year and a half makes a big difference when the band members are so young) and November 2004 article on NPR.

Or you could just listen to their song "Massive Cure" here.

2 comments:

marvin said...

Asya ("Ah-see," the D.J. said -- I've never seen or heard this name before, I don't believe) and Chloe ("Klo-ee") are pretty incredible! I wonder if Maya ("My-yuh") is the real talent of the family?

Have you decided if you "love" their music yet? I think I'm crushing on it pretty heavy right now. :-)

PS: Why does your previous post on the film, "Must Love Dogs," not allow any comments?

Carm said...

Funny, I must have missed how to say Asya's name... I assumed it was like Asia for some reason! Hmmmm. I almost bought the cd and then didn't. I guess I like it but don't love it. It reminds me a bit too much of "mini-pops."

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin