Thursday, August 04, 2005

Reading, Watching, Listening -- July in Review

I hate the thought of forgetting my "trends" in music, the shows I watch, the books I read. Each time I move on I simply replace the one before (in the sidebars) and the record is gone... So this post begins my monthly reviews.

Read in July
In the last half of July I read Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, Stalking the Divine by Kristin Ohlson, and Secret Gardens The Golden Age of Children's Literature by Humphrey Carpenter. Those were the ones I noted in my sidebar. However I did also read two young adult books--Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson and I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak.



Watched in July
I really didn't plan to watch all 70's themed things. In fact, I didn't even realize it until I started writing this review. That 70's Show was mainly watched in reruns but I also rented the first two seasons. Woodstock was a single event which spanned several days, (just as the actual event did) because it is 220 minutes or so. VH1 - I Love the 70s was also a single evening in which I caught 1978 and 1979. The best part was that I could remember so many of their featured topics. I brought me right back to my childhood. That show BJ and the Bear. I used to have slime. I loved pop rocks. Those were not the only things I spent time watching in July. I also devoted a fair amount of time to Will and Grace reruns and Two Guys and a Girl. And of course I watched many movies which I've mentioned in my posts.

Played in July
This is trickier. I listened to a lot of different music this month. What I featured was The Smiths, in particular The Queen is Dead album. Jefferson Airplane, inspired by the viewing of Woodstock. They were just so cool. I'd forgotent how much I liked them. Lastly I listed the Rolling Stones. I have to admit I haven't listened to them all the much. I threw on the 40 Licks album and fell in love all over again. These three represent the emphasis of my musical tastes these past few weeks, but I've also listened to Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, The Clash, Graham Parker, and Magnolia Electric Company.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
marvin said...

So, which of the 40 songs contained on the double "Forty Licks" CD do you like best? Which of them are your top ten faves? The ones marked with the # symbol are mine.

Disc 1
01. Street Fighting Man
02. Gimme Shelter #
03. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction #
04. The Last Time
05. Jumpin' Jack Flash
06. You Can't Always Get What You Want
07. 19th Nervous Breakdown
08. Under My Thumb
09. Not Fade Away
10. Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadows?
11. Sympathy For The Devil #
12. Mother's Little Helper
13. She's A Rainbow
14. Get Off My Cloud #
15. Wild Horses
16. Ruby Tuesday
17. Paint It Black
18. Honky Tonk Women
19. It's All Over Now
20. Let's Spend The Night Together #

Disc 2
01. Start Me Up
02. Brown Sugar #
03. Miss You #
04. Beast Of Burden
05. Don't Stop
06. Happy #
07. Angie
08. You Got Me Rocking
09. Shattered
10. Fool To Cry
11. Love Is Strong #
12. Mixed Emotions
13. Keys To Your Love
14. Anybody Seen My Baby?
15. Stealing My Heart
16. Tumbling Dice
17. Undercover Of The Night
18. Emotional Rescue
19. It's Only Rock & Roll (But I Like It) #
20. Losing My Touch

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin