Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Must Love "Dogs"

If you are planning to see this film, you'll have to (love dogs) because it is a real Woofer. Not pretty. I suspected as much when I casually glanced at the ratings in the reviews. Hmmm. I typically don't bother with C+ rated films, but this one held one thing I am powerless to resist.... John Cusack. But now I am left to wonder WHY he was in this film. There was a great cast of actors which gave me hope but the characters were not believable, the story weak, superficial, predictable... The biggest laugh in the theatre was when a man in the back snorted in his sleep. Even the snippets in the credits were When Harry Met Sally done badly.... Nothing about this movie felt fresh or real. Though, I did like the variety of Ramones shirts donned by Cusack and I have to admit feeling periodic surges of desire for him, but that really has nothing to do with the film and more to do with his role as MY future husband!

I saw this film on a reduced movie ticket, and seeing John Cusack on the big screen was worth the $5.50, but the real bonus of tonight's viewing was seeing six previews for upcoming films. I think I would pay just to see those trailers on the big screen. I'd be intersted in seeing all but the last of these and if you go to their websites you can view the trailers without spending a penny:






Rumor Has It (Rob Reiner film, starring Jennifer Aniston, that looks like The Graduate part II.... good thing I just watched that film for the first time)
Elizabethtown (Orlando Bloom goes to Kentucky... Hmmm. I do like Kirsten Dunst and it's a Cameron Crowe film)
Corpse Bride (A Tim Burton film in the tradition of The Nightmare Before Christmas. I've actually eagerly been awaiting that one)
In Her Shoes (film based on a chick lit book- I read a different book by this author and wasn't too impressed, but this actually looks like it might be alright... I generally like films with Toni Collette)
Rent (didn't realize a movie was being made of this--I'm so excited..."Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes ...how do you measure, measure a year.")
Just like Heaven (have never liked angel/ghost type movies...especially the love stories... however I really liked A Life Less Ordinary and that had the whole angel thing going on... of course it was with Holly Hunter, one of my faves)

What occurs to me now as I am ready to post this entry is I have not changed much from my pre-teen self. I used to write out lists of movies I wanted to see, based on previews and reviews, and then tape them to my bedroom door. A to-do list for film viewing. I guess it's not bad to have remained consistent in this aspect of life... and now my lists are more sophisticated.... at least in their style of presentation.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin