Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Oooh Goody, Car Shopping...

... says my colleague today when I announce in the staff lounge the final word on my car. Totaled. The other guy's insurance company has decided. Oh, I'm sorry? Didn't I mention... while I was bent over double with pain last week, haggling with the man formerly known as my primary doctor over whether or not my excruciating pain on the left side of my back was or was not kidney related. Later, my mother, an RN, asked me to indicate exactly WHERE the pain was and as I showed her she shook her head and said "well I can see where the confusion was... since the spot where it hurts is EXACTLY where your kidney is!" Sigh.

Oops. Digression.

As I was saying, my car was in an accident last week. I was not in my car. Apparently this was a very good thing. It went down a bit like this.

1. I ran out of gas. (I know, I know... damn those gas prices... I really thought I could make it)

2. I coasted my car to the far edge of the lane, put on my hazards, stepped out of the car.

3. I stood on the side of the street for a minute trying to decide if I could find someone to help me push it up to the nearest street to get it off the main road... Then when no one seemed readily available I opted to start walking to the gas station a block away.

4. I took about 5 steps.

5. Someone apologetic college boy, "looking down for just a second" hit my car and propelled it forward into a street sign.

6. Police are summoned.

7. He is cited.

8. Cars are towed.

9. 48 hours later I am finally told his insurance will pay for a rental. Unfortunately I am in the emergency room--kidney crisis-- when they contact me. I get one the next day.

10. One week later, I find out the adjuster finally saw my car and declared time of death.

It hurts me to see my car end up this way. We've been through a lot together. I loved her and I hated her.

I've known for some time that I needed to consider a new car... I am just dreading the whole process. I have a car curse and I'm afraid of the commitment. The pressure of all that money.
And everyone's got an opinion... a suggestion. People are volunteering to go shopping with me. Should I buy new or used? I've always bought used. Now I think for the first time ever, I'll be buying new. To take advantage of any deals with percentage rates (please let there be deals) and to get a nice long factory warranty. Are there any that actually are 10 year warranties? Or is that just a myth? And do I buy a new 2007 (which might have a deal) or get a brand spanking new 2008, which are just rolling out?

I am driving a 2007 Toyota Camry rental and I'm not crazy about it. And it's hard to explain why. I think the dashboard is ugly. My water bottle doesn't fit in the cup holders. I find the console compartments inconvenient. It looks big on the outside. Which is a total contradiction since I say I don't mind big, I like roominess. The trunk space is good. However, the worst is that I find I have trouble with blind spots in reversing. To back up. I have to rely on the mirrors. That makes me uncomfortable. I actually cannot see what is behind me when I back up... it's like the headrest is obstructing my view and I nearly get a neck spasm trying to make it work. That just seems totally wrong. So I guess that's one car I won't get. I wish I could rent a few others just to try each of them for a few days. That would be so much easier. Feel free to suggest cars or tips. Please don't be hurt if I don't follow your advice or tips.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awful! It completely sucks to have to deal with a wrecked car. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.

Sara said...

Whoa...you can't catch a break! Kidneys! Car! Leevers!

Well, we drive Hondas and love them. We NEVER have issues. In 8 years, we've only had the Accord into the shop once and it was covered because it was their fault or something. We also drive a CRV which we enjoy.

Carm said...

Thanks for the kind words and tips. I hope to find some time soon to try to test drive a few cars... I was thinking of starting with Honda.

E.Louise said...

Wow Carmyn, glad you weren't in the car. Like you said, it never rains but it pours. Sorry for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin