Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Lord, Beer Me Strength" -- Jim Halpert, The Office


It seems like I always have at least one or two sitcoms in my life that just make my day a wee bit brighter. Forever, it was Friends. And Seinfeld. Now it's The New Adventures of Old Christine and The Office. I just love The Office. I have seen every episode more than once, but that doesn't alter the joy I feel while watching the absurdities of their office world. Michael is remarkably inappropriate. He's so awful... you want to look away, but you just can't do it.

My most recent re-run rendezvous was the "Ben Franklin" episode happily saved by my DVR.

Michael, with his new-found understanding of "separate but equal" insists on both the men and women having strippers for their bachelor/bachelorette parties... at 3:00 pm .... in the middle of the work day. Jim and Dwight are in charge of hiring the entertainment. Instead of a strip club, Jim called the Scholastic Speakers of Pennsylvania. Jim ordered an actor to play Ben Franklin for Phyllis’s party. Angela was quite entertained with the man’s portrayal of the inventor, while the rest of the ladies quietly drank champagne and stewed. The party really got started when the women started asking tantalizing questions to “Ben Franklin.”

Still, nothing brings a smile to my face like the title of this post. In "Product Recall" Jim and Andy must go to a high school and apologize in person for the unfortunate water mark on their recent paper delivery. In the process Andy uses his favorite expression of "beer me" in a number of unusual ways.

Andy Bernard: [in Andy's car] Beer me!
Jim Halpert: What's that?
Andy Bernard:
Hand me that water?
[Jim does so]
Andy Bernard: I always say 'beer me.' It gets a laugh, like, a quarter of the time.
...............

Too often, I have shared Jim's dismay at some ridiculous moment in my life... now I have a response, Lord, beer me strength.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin