Sunday, November 12, 2006

If only the pattern of life was so predictable.... knit, knit, purl, purl....

A year ago, I picked up my knitting needles determined to learn how to knit something-- how to follow a pattern. I bought a book. I took a class. I wrote an article. And I learned some new "skills" how to do ribbing... how to create the seed stitch... how to increase and decrease... I learned about kinds of yarn and the wonder of bamboo needles. I had plans to knit my first hat. I didn't make it that far because I am still in the midst of my last project of the winter: a red ribbed scarf. When last you heard from me I had about two inches done and now after one week of high stress and a need for meditation I have managed to knit three FEET.... I think after another day or two I'll be done and this is one scarf I might actually USE.

My next knitting goal is to make a knitting needle case using two new knitting skills for the season. I am going to felt the fabric for the case and learn how to cable in order to make the part the needles slide through. Watch for updates as I begin that task. After that one, then I think I'll try the circular needles and the hat making process.

As I told Marci earlier today, I think this could be a breakthrough year for me and knitting. Marci and I went to Starbucks for lattes and our first knitting lesson. She successfully learned how to cast on and how to knit and I showed her briefly how to bind off. I'm excited to share this hobby with her and she's a good little learner considering I'm not sure I know how to "teach" a skill like this.

When I was visiting my grandma at the hospital, I knew she was in pretty good spirits as she wryly said, "It sure is funny to see how some people knit..." Hmmm.... and she was the one who originally taught me. At least I could bring her some "amusement!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin