Sunday, November 12, 2006

Oh Deer.

Seriously. I mean, what is THAT?

On Friday, I drove north to visit my grandma in the hospital and felt the need to wear my bright red jacket in the car because I had a slight fear of being shot. I had the day off from school in honor of Veteran's Day... but what they really mean is in honor of "The Opening Day of Deer Season." Sigh. It's not as if I have never hunted before (though I didn't manage to shoot anything) but somehow, years later, after all the news stories of fools getting shot or houses having bullets carelessly rip through the walls just inches above a sleeping infants head... Well, I have to say it gives me chills. It's not like I feel some animal rights compassion for the deer, but I do worry about hitting one with my car. Especially with all the hunters driving them out of their normal hangouts. So I drove on, vigilant. Eyes perpetually scanning the fields for deer and every car I met had hunters in blaze orange with trigger happy fingers....

My grandma was having a better day and she had a huge line-up for visitors later in the day. I got to hang out for a few hours and then spend a few more hours watching my Aunt Heather bake cardamom rolls and visiting with my cousin Brooke about her upcoming wedding. My dad and Cindy and I went to a movie at the theatre and though it's nicely renovated, it was still the same old theatre from my youth. We saw Flicka and I was pleased to see my aunt and uncle and cousin slide into the seats behind us. It was a regular family event and the theatre was packed out. For Flicka. I love it. Actually I loved the idea of it more than I actually loved the movie. That was a bit slow and simplistic. But it was a decent family flick.

On Saturday as I drove into town to visit Grandma again I noticed this deer hide collection box by the school. I can only imagine this is for some ag-related purpose.... tanning perhaps? Regardless it gave me reason to pause and I couldn't pass up a picture of this truly bizarre connection to my past.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin