Sunday, October 09, 2005

In Favre I Trust

At some point in my blogging I mentioned my fantasy football draft. Well, I survived this new (for me) auction draft method of bidding on players rather than doing a typical snake draft in which we drew numbers to determine the order of picks. In fact, I apparently selected a team who performed well enough to win the first week and score enough points to put me on top. That didn't last and the next two weeks I lost in a rather humbling sort of way. My rank fell to seventh or maybe it was eighth out of ten and finally last week I won and pushed my standings to fourth. How I do in week five will be determined by the Pittsburgh defense when they play the Chargers on Monday night. Now I have some fondness for San Diego, but this week I'd like to see them trampled by the Steelers.

In my four years of fantasy football I have consistently chosen Brett Favre (Green Bay) as my quarterback and Dave Akers (Philadelphia) as my kicker. Now Akers is injured and I've had to do the unthinkable and drop him because it was a bye week for my backup and I didn't have a kicker. Furthermore Favre and his Packers had not been impressing me much as the season started and for a few weak moments I wondered if I was wrong in choosing him once again, and if all those who insisted Brett had reached his sell-by date were actually on to something. My argument was that Favre was reliable.... something I could count on in this unstable world.... After a terrible start to the season (0-4), the Packers finally found a win over the New Orleans Saints.... and oh, what a win. 52 - 3. Apparently Green Bay hasn't seen that kind of point spread since the sixties and Favre has never played in a game that reached over 50 points. The amazing part is the fact that the Green Bay team is sporting a sort of "thrown-together" offense since many of their key players were not playing. While there are those who remain stalwart despisers of Brett Favre, I maintain my love for him and his leadership on this team. Perhaps it's just because he looks like a nice guy. Perhaps it's because he reminds me of Ryan Mitchell, a kid I went to high school with. I'm not entirely sure I can put my finger on it. In the end, win or lose, healthy or injured... he shows up, does his thing and I can count on that.

I have a love of quarterbacks, to be sure, and Favre is no different. I think it's because they're so pretty. The following photo is one that I'm sure has ball-handling connotations what with the hand placement and all, but I have to admit my mind goes elsewhere. Though I have utmost respect for the sancity of marriage and I know Brett has a lovely wife, I must admit that my fantasy football world can venture into other fantasies as well... let's just say when I see those hands coming at me... football is the last thing on my mind.

2 comments:

marvin said...

The bottom photo reminds me of that one scene in the Hugh Grant film, "Sirens," when the young man comes to pick up his girl for an evening date, and she meets him at the front door, and tell him to go home and wash his hands first, and to clean real well under his fingernails too, because he still has sheep shit under his nails from the day's work; and if he want to be using those fingers on her anywhere, they'd better not have no sheep shit under the nails! :-)

Carm said...

Funny! I don't think I've seen that movie... I am not a fan of sheep shit, myself....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin