Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"a cinematic mix-tape"


Cameron Crowe, writer/director/producer of Elizabethtown says, "every movie I've ever written or directed has started with music." Perhaps that is why I love the soundtrack or at least the way it played out in the film. This film ends up being a series of favorite bits... that amounts to "a love letter to the resilience of the life force" as is stated in the story summary on the official website. The character of Claire, played by Kirsten Dunst, is delightful. I could fall in love with her... she speaks my language. Not only do Claire and Drew (Orlando Bloom) get to know each other in a non-traditional way, unexpected meeting on a plane, extensive cell phone conversation, but she persists in being "just what he needed" by showing up at the all the best moments, however stalkerish it may seem. Sometimes there is a fine line between psycho and amazing.

Ultimately, she wins me over with her final move as she gives him the map to top all maps... his first road trip guide and I am swept away. Not only do you get this map with specific stops along the way but the music to go with it. In Crowe's words, "as the movie ends you get the feeling of the road and America and how music is such an indelible part of that."


The movie was a treat and like most films many of my favorite bits are housed in the previews (which you can check out on the website if you have a high speed connection) still here they are:

Drew says as he kisses her, "Please don't take this as rejection."

"I really don't," replies Claire between kisses.

---------------------

Jesse, Drew's cousin asks, "you and your dad were close, right?"

Drew responds, "Oh very close, I knew him very, very well. Very, very well."

"Yeah, I don't know my father either."

----------------------

Claire: "You are always trying to break up with me and we're not even together."

----------------------

I also love Claire's little habit of capturing a special moment with an imaginery camera. Click.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin