Thursday, May 28, 2009

Brideshead Revisited.


Having never read Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh, I have nothing to compare the film to. Sad but true, I was mostly watching it to see if I should bother with the book. The trailer looked so lovely and enchanting and haunting and good. I love Emma Thompson. I like period pieces. I expected to love it. Instead I am ambivalent. I didn't expect the homosexual bits, I felt that it needed some bits to be more developed. I like Matthew Goode as an actor and he was "okay" in this role, but as I felt with The Reader, I was left wanting more of the inner thoughts and turmoil of this mostly quiet reactive character. I read another blogger's review just now and discovered if I want a true Brideshead Revisited cinematic experience I need to watch the nearly perfect 1981 mini-series version. You can read her review here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin