Sunday, May 03, 2009

Book Hungry People.

On Sunday, after I left my pal Rebecca's place I made my way to Roseville to check out the Half Price Books Warehouse sale. It was day two and I wasn't all that impressed with what was left. It's more or less just an extended clearance rack sale. That's the first section I always check out when I hit a Half Price Books store because one can find books for $1.00 or $2.00. THAT is the way to shop. Usually the books I want cost more.

After finding lone book I wanted I looked at the checkout line and immediately returned it to a box and headed to the Roseville store--one that is new since the last time I was in the Twin Cities and book shopping! This was already my second Half Price Books stop of the weekend (I went to St. Louis Park on Saturday) and I will say each store has different strengths. They each have their own character and slight emphasis. They had a really nice children's section in Roseville and I found a wonderful selection of goodies.

Next I tried my hand at Cheapo Discs but my heart wasn't in it. I quickly looked for some used Weepies or The Shins and when I came up empty I tried to hit some shops on Grand in St. Paul, before they closed. I made a record purchase at The Red Balloon moments before they closed. Record, as in, I can't BELIEVE I spent that much money! But I've been waiting to get my hands on the Lauren Child version of Pippi Longstocking and they had a copy. I also picked up to picture books I've been wanting:



That Book Woman by Heather Henson, illustrated by David Small
and
The Best Pet of All by David LaRochelle, illustrated by Hanako Wakikyama

A sane person would stop there but I didn't. I went straight to the St. Paul Half Price books on Ford Parkway (one of my favorites) and found even more. After three book shops I think I managed to pick up close to 50 books. Gulp. Good thing I still have a little bookshelf space.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin