Thursday, January 18, 2007

Happy Birthday A.A. Milne... tiddley pom...

A. A. Milne and his own Christopher Robin (1882-1956)

To honor him here are some favorite quotations from the stories of Winnie-the-Pooh.

"Eeyore," he said solemly, "I, Winnie-the-Pooh, will find your tail for you."
"Thank you, Pooh," answered Eeyore. "You're a real friend," said he. "Not Like Some," he said.


"Piglet," said Rabbit, taking out a pencil, and licking the end of it, "you haven't any pluck."
"It is hard to be brave," said Piglet, sniffing slightly, "when you're only a Very Small Animal."



“Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon”


“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"”

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.”

"It all comes I suppose,"he decided, as he said good-bye to the last branch, spun round three times, and flew gracefully into a gorse bush, "it all comes of liking honey so much. Oh, help!"



“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh," he whispered.

"Yes, Piglet?"

"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, "I just wanted to be sure of you."”


“Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.”
He coughed in an important way, and began again:
"What-nots and Etceteras, before I begin, or perhaps I should say, before I end, I have a piece of Poetry to read to you. Hitherto -hitherto - a long word meaning - well, you'll see what it means directly - hitherto, as I was saying, all the Poetry in the Forest has been written by Pooh, a Bear with a Pleasing Manner but a Positively Startling Lack of Brain. The Poem with I am now about to read to you was written by Eeyore, or Myself, in a Quiet Moment. If somebody will take Roo's bull's eye away from him, and wake up Owl, we shall all be able to enjoy it. I call it - POEM."

Eeyore was saying to himself, "This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it."


It's so much more friendly with two.
-- Winnie the Pooh


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to add the one about writing, but you already have it :) AA Milne was a genius. I liked his other poems too, esp in 'When We Were Very Young', a big part of my growing-up.

My brother's poem:

Jonathan Jo, with a mouth like an 'O'
And a wheelbarrow full of surprises
If you ask for a bat or something like that
He can find it whatever the size is...

And 'Bad Sir Brian Botany' - even in those days kids loved meaningless violence.

Sir Brian had a battleaxe with great big knobs on.
He went among the villagers and blipped them on the head...

And when my mum was at her wit's end with us children and with busy shopping streets, she'd take our hands and start chanting, marching us on to the time of 'They're changing guards at Buckingham Palace [step, step, step, step] Christopher Robin went down with Alice....Alice is marrying one of the guards, a solder's life is terribly hard....says Alice.'

Happy times...

Carm said...

Ahhhhh... thank you for the wonderful addition to the post. I was thinking the one person who might smile widely at this post was my pal Julia, but I'm doubly glad I decided to put a smackerel of verse on the blog in remembrance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin