Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Wooden Clogs, Windmills, Tulips, Oh My!


As I ventured to mark number 77 off on my 101 list I discovered another world in the Dutch region of western Iowa. My friends Mike and Ang live just southeast of Sioux Falls in an entirely different world.... It's a small town that should be much like the one I grew up in, but it wasn't. It's hard to put my finger on it, really. I guess things are just different in Iowa.
Ang and I enjoyed coffee and scones at a sweet little coffee shop and then she gave me the tour. This town has a private college and industry and a pretty kickass library. It also has a Pizza Hut with a Dutch design. I had no idea. Apparently, the Van der blah blah section of the phone book is HUGE.... The marching band wears wooden clogs during the tulip festival parade and here's me wearing a pair. Stylish, eh?


It was great fun to check out all the local shops and to relax and hang out with my friend... When Mike came home from work we had supper and then took in a tour of the neighboring town (no less Dutch) where both of them work and then settled in for a movie. It was nice and it made me wish we still lived half a block away from each other.

5 comments:

E.Louise said...

I'm jealous (mostly of the clogs) :)

E.Louise said...

If only Ang had a blog...

Carm said...

Hmmm.... that smells like peer pressure! (though I heartily agree!) :)

Sara said...

I believe Iowa to be one of the treasures of the midwest. It has so many fantastic day trips within the state (if you live in the state). They take pride in their heritage and festivals. I love Iowa. The Pella Tulip Festival is another Dutch tradition in Iowa in the month of April. Did you eat some Dutch Letters with that yummy almond paste in each.

Carm said...

I am afraid I didn't go for the almond treats... I am not a fan of almond flavored things ... but I did pick some up for Noel back in Sioux Falls... apparently he's a big fan!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin