Sunday, August 13, 2006

Creative Cooking Concept.6 Peeling Peaches

By now, it should come as no surprise that I am a minimalist when it comes to cooking. It is rare that I make anything that requires much effort and so when it comes to some fruits... like peaches which need peeling, I long for the taste... I love the fruit... but I am just not that ambitious. Today I remembered my grandmother's advice and I tried it out. It worked like a charm.

First I boil water in my tea kettle and then I place the peach in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over the peach and let it sit for a just a few seconds.... Next I run cold water from the faucet over the peach right in the bowl to avoid getting scalded and then when it's cold I pick up the peach and the skin slips right off. If it doesn't, rub the peach between your hands and pick at a lose spot... the peel should pull right off.

Perhaps this seems like more work, but if you think about it... you've just boiled water for tea at the same time! Double the pleasure and no need to get out the paring knife.

4 comments:

banjo bandida said...

Man! Now I'm craving peaches, and for some reason I want to listen to the Steve Miller Band. You are very influential.

E.Louise said...

a top tip once again. You are wise beyond your ears.

Missy said...

It's called blanching and it works for lots of things. Tomatoes, beets--but you've figured this out by now. Aren't grandma's the best? They know it all.

Carm said...

Yes, blanching... I knew there was a name for it. Yum. I had another peach again this morning....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin