Monday, August 14, 2006

Wanderlust


Yesterday, around 5 pm I was seized by a fit of restlessness, and so I set out for a walk. It was absolutely perfect weather. I decided to search for the labyrinth that was recently mentioned in the local news. Mostly out of curiousity. I knew it was by the river and near the downtown. Without realizing it, I walked right by it. Before I got to the downtown area, though, I walked for a long stretch on the city side of the flood wall. In the picture there are some pretty flowers but for most of the walk, the wall looms large and gives off a feeling of The Handmaid's Tale... I couldn't get that story out of my mind. (v. grim)

Once I reached the downtown area I crossed to the other side of the wall and walked the bike path that is nearest to the water. It was such a peaceful day and I brought a book to read but I just couldn't quit walking... At one point I passed an older man alone on the bike path who was adjusting his bicycle. He greeted me and I, him... but as I passed I had horrible thoughts that frustrate me tremendously. I thought to myself... "I'm alone.. I didn't tell anyone where I was... those nice girls at Amazing Grains will be the last people to have remembered seeing me alive..." Then I noticed a family within shouting distance across the river and I relaxed. I kept walking and the man never followed. It makes me angry at the world that these thoughts even cross my mind. I miss the life I had on the farm in my rural upbringing that allowed me to go running by moonlight at 11 pm and never once fear anything but a run-in with a skunk. I hate that suddenly my mind floods with suspicion so easily. And more than that I hate that I live in a world that REQUIRES I think this way in order to preserve my safety.

On my walk I think I ended up somewhere I've never been... walking under the point bridge and down a path that TRULY was deserted and far from civilization.... I spotted a fat frog and periodically would have this glimpses of the river. It was both restful and invigorating. Suddenly I was in Lincoln Park and I stopped off to visit Anna and discovered she had houseguests from Nashville. I sipped lemonade and watched as Nina prepared a vegetarian dish with all the yummy veggies they picked up at the farmer's market the day before... Then I set out once again on my trek to find the labyrinth with promises to return in an hour for taste-testing!

On the return trip toward downtown I took a different route and stuck to the street until I could climb up on the dike and walk. I was a few blocks from the downtown and I began to hear this great music. It felt like it was coming from one of the buildings... like there was a dance or a concert but it kept fading and growing louder... teasing me ... sounds wafting on the breeze. I felt like a cartoon dog sniffing the animated smells on the breeze in some Saturday morning show... My ears were perking up as I kept on walking... Soon I realized that the sounds were coming from the downtown and that it was indeed a big band sort of concert. The brass, the piano.... it was delightful and I could have stretched out on the grassy side of the dike and just listened forever but I had plans to keep and so I walked on... Suddenly I looked to my right and discovered the almost imperctible circular path of stones and I realized I'd found my labyrinth.

As if they sensed I needed the quiet the band took a break and I'd even thought perhaps they were finished for the evening... but I quickly forgot that as I stepped onto the footpath and sought the promised serenity of this place. It's funny how something so simple can be so cool. As I left that simple labyrinth the music roared back to life and I wish now I could remember the song. It was familiar and happy and I lingered then and watched them perform through three more songs before I hurried home to fetch wine, a recipe book, and my car to head back to Anna's for a delicious veggie dish. I love days that bring unexpected surprises and when loose plans are so rewarding.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood is one of my absolute favorite books. Surfacing is also a good Atwood tale. Sorry to jump further into your literary allusion, but I couldn't resist! Great entry!

Carm said...

Thanks! I haven't read Surfacing... but I have The Blind Assassin in my line-up. I love Atwood's poetry too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin