Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Magical Radio Mood Maker

For me a great song can lift the spirits like nothing else... As I drove home from a meeting today I had to cross all of town and so I actually got to listen to more than a song or two on the FM dial... It began with 50 cent singing "In da Club" and then I switched stations to hear the end of "Boulevard of BrokenDreams" by Green Day and then Aerosmith's "Walk this Way." Another station gave me "Centerfold" by J. Geils Band and then just as I was thinking it was another typical drive home my spirit soared...

On the next station change I heard the end of Jefferson Airplane singing "Someone to Love" and my heart overflowed with love for Grace Slick. I've always liked their music and perhaps it's linked to that 45 record of "White Rabbit" my mom had in her collection. Maybe I learned to love her voice early on... in my formative years. Last summer I saw her perform in her frizzy fro at Woodstock as I watched the documentary for the first time... Then this fall I saw a slightly younger Grace with smooth black hair singing her heart out at the Monterey International Pop Music Festival. I think that all things add up to one big love and with a Pavlovian reaction my heart swells and my spirit soars as I hear her powerfully belting out the words to any one of their songs.

The joy wasn't over either as I pulled up to my apartment I heard America singing "Sister Golden Hair" and I had to sit in my car to hear it all.... at peace with the world. Sigh.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Carmen, I know exactly what you mean with the way music can bring you back, inspire, crave. I am going through a Blondie/Debbie Harry stage similar to your Grace Slick love.

She is beautiful. I love the photos.

Carm said...

Oooohhhh... I love Blondie!

"Heart of Glass" and "Dreaming"

And then there's that episode on the Muppets where she performs "One Way or Another"....

Sigh.

By the way, I love the ipod shuffle thing on your blog. I think I need to do something like that on mine... even though I don't have an ipod. "Sugar Sugar" is a song I loved as a kid... My mom had a 45 of that one too... it was YEARS before I realized that The Archies were a cartoon band...

cupcake said...

Whenever I put Joanna Newsome in my cd player - esp. in the summer - I can't leave my car until its over. THE BEST.

Carm said...

See, this is exactly what I love about you.... You introduce me to new artists. I am not familiar with Ms. Newsome but I promptly checked her out and she's rather intriguing.... And her instrument of choice makes me smile because when my younger sis was a small child she used to want to be a "harpist" and was shocked to learn they didn't have that as a musical option in 5th grade band. Go figure. I have spread the joy of Langhorne Slim to at least one other person thanks to one of your posts... Keep on finding the good stuff for me! I am just trying to keep up...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin