Saturday, April 08, 2006

God Bless This Girl!


Reprinted here for your reading pleasure is my tribute to Miss Rachel.... a lovely girl whose blog I just discovered. Not only am I excited to read more, but I am simply amazed by all her gorgeous pics of her beautiful children.... Though, her post is from awhile ago, It is good timing since we just celebrated National Library Week. This post could have been written by me... the fourth grade girl who bought library cards from the local library and catalogued all her own books and insisted on bringing portions of her private library to school each day hoping kids would want to check the books out.

Sunday, August 22, 2004
Library Card Collection

Some people collect baseball cards, postage stamps, or coins. I am here to advocate a more obscure collection: library cards. A library card collection doesn't take up much space, and like a library, it is just so friendly. I happen to keep my own library collection in a plain little white envelope inside my cedar chest, where it is protected from moths, chemicals, and peanut butter covered fingers. It all started when I was unable to throw my college library card away. Cracked, worn around the edges, it had been through so many literary adventures with me that I just couldn't get rid of it. And I soon discovered that we'd be moving all over the place for the next few years, so I decided to start a collection of used and well loved library cards. So far I have the following library cards in my collection:

1. Jamestown College Raugust Library
2. Alfred Dickey Public Library
3. Valley City Public Library
4. Valley City State University Library (they had a wonderful curriculum library)
5. Grand Forks Public LIbrary
6. UND Chester Fritz Library
7. Northwood Public School Library
8. Mapleton Elementary School Library
9. Bismarck Public Library
10. North Dakota State Library

And, of course, my current library card. I don't house the current library card in the collection. We keep it in our library book bag, which Sarah and I haul to the library about every other day. The best thing about my current library is that there is no limit on the number of books checked out on your library card! Last Friday I checked out a book on interior design, 5 novels, 12 children's picture books and a CD. We make our next trip to the library tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

shelly said...

hi carmen! how are you? how is GF? are you still at CH? i haven't been there in about 6 years but i still think about everyone there. i loved that place. most of the time. we should figure out a way to exchange email addresses in a not-so-public forum...
how do you know sara? i don't know how much of our blogs you have perused, but sara and i were best friends since we were little tiny girls.

Carm said...

Has it really been SIX years??? GF is pretty much the same. CH is too. Sara, I know from the RRV Writing Project and grad school. What an amazingly small world. Send me an e-mail... You can find my address on my profile page.

Sara said...

I love blogland!!!! I love that Carm is friends with Shelly! I love that I know the two of you through completely different lives! Can I link to you from my blog, Carmen?

Carm said...

Of course, Sara!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin