Sunday, July 17, 2005

One in Seven

Well, today I emerged from my hobbit hole and stepped forth into air that felt like soup. 90 degrees and humid. I called everyone I knew hoping for a late lunch date and got nowhere with that so I settled for lunch (grocery store style) at Leevers Super Value.... simply the best croissants in town. I only need one, but I always buy two. (delish!) Then I paid a visit to my friend and colleague, Eileen, who is recovering from foot surgery. I expected to have a brief chat and head out before her next scheduled dose of high-powered drugs that apparently causes her to nod off mid-sentence. Instead, I joined her son in watching the movie the others had watched the day before: Dear Frankie.While I didn't recognize the title at first it, it wasn't long before I realized this was a film I had once been looking forward to. I liked it a lot. It produced just enough tears for three kleenexes... the others said, with as much disgust as disbelief... "You're crying?" I guess they found it to be rather slow and not really worth it--I disagree. While I wouldn't give it the highest rating, I thought it was worth a rent if you're in the mood for slow but tender. What made it seem slow, I think, was the quiet in many of the poignant scenes of the movie. Ultimately, young Frankie was a terrific and loveable character not unlike the gem of a character in Billy Elliot. While I wouldn't want to compare these films on other levels I did think that Frankie was a child I fell in love with as I watched the story unfold. Some might find the whole thing hokey, but I found that today it hit the spot and ended with a feeling of hope.

My evening was spent at the new Starbucks on Washington with Emma reading my book, examining digital camera reviews, and quizzing each other at Friends trivia. Today I sampled the new Starbucks drink: Tazo Green Tea Frappuccino. It's always a little nervewracking when the clerk offers you a sample and steps back with a slight grimace on his face. He waited and I sampled and approved enough to order the drink. I suppose that's the point, isn't it? I entered with an open mind unsure of what I wanted and I was introduced to something I really liked. AFTER, I had sampled their wares, he informed me that so far only one in seven has liked this drink. I guess that's me... one in seven.

1 comment:

marvin said...

So, are you saying that "Billy Elliot" is a superior film to "Dear Frankie," or just that (aside from the charm of their respective child stars) they are significantly different movies, not really suited for comparison?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin