Saturday, July 17, 2010

Two Film Friday



What began as a plan to see either Inception at the theatre in town or Toy Story 3 at the Sky Vu Drive-In Theatre turned into quite a different movie night. We ruled out the drive in based on the fact that it was going to start much later in the evening and so we opted for Inception, only to find it sold out. This has to be the first sold out film I've attempted to see in YEARS. I guess I don't often make it on opening weekend.

After a brief jaunt around Blockbuster we picked up four choices -- Princess and the Frog, The Book of Eli, Leap Year, and When in Rome. We ruled out the two romantic comedies thanks to Rotten Tomatoes low ratings and opted for a bit of both worlds... Disney-rific and Post-apocalyptic.

Princess and the Frog

I don't have a lot to say about this one. It was heavily hyped by my animation-analyst sister, Ashley who was excited that it was hand drawn. I did appreciate some of those finer elements of the film, but overall it wasn't my favorite. Ray, the lightning bug, and his enduring love for Evangeline was probably my favorite part. I'd give this one 3 stars.

The Book of Eli

The post-apocalyptic novel/film is one of my favorite genres so already this one was a winner. I love Mila Kunis and Jennifer Beals so they were assets. Of course, I loved the message of the importance and value of literacy, but mostly I just loved the way the film could still surprise me even when I thought I knew what was going on. The elderly couple were a real treat, and while I didn't enjoy the violent aspects of the film, it was fun to see Eli (Denzel Washington) kicking butt. This one is a four star film for sure!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin